Friday, May 09, 2008

A True Historic Leader

I have just watched an old interview with Obama on the Tavis Smiley show on PBS - you can see it here. Wow, I am even more impressed than I was before. This man has such a confidence, an assuredness that is inspiring, yet at the same time he exhibits a modesty that does not appear false in any way. I feel that he is one of those rare individuals that can change history, and make a difference positively in this world. His message of 'hope' is not spin, not a gimmick, not a political catchphrase to lure votes, he truly believes that he can give hope back to this country and the world.

He talks about himself as someone who has lived in another country, someone who knows what it is like to have family members struggling to survive in poverty, and someone who has worked in the housing projects seeing firsthand the real issues people have to deal with. He is also someone who has a grandmother in Africa living in a hut without running water and electricity in a village that has been decimated by AIDS. I get goosebumps at the thought of the American President being such a person - as he says, when he goes to Africa and sees suffering it really means something to him personally.

He has never supported the Iraq war and I thank him for that. I remember sitting in Scotland during the build up rubbing my eyes with disbelief. I felt like the small boy in the Emperor's New Clothes. I agree with Obama when he attributes the support for the Iraq war being a direct consequence of the political game that is played in Washington. I think he is correct when he says that it blinds good people to what is directly in front of them and they find themselves doing what is expected of them.

I am excited. I truly have hope that America will rise from the ashes and be a positive place to live and a positive influence in the world. This country was founded on such wonderful principles of liberty and equality. It has not always found it easy to follow in the spirit of its beginning but in Barack Obama I believe this country will find a way back to what is good and great about the United States of America.

Now if only I could vote ..... (I probably won't get citizenship in time .... close ....)
...... so I'll be pounding the pavement and hassling all citizens I know ... you have been warned!!

No comments: